DJ Ruth - Oldest Female Disc Jockey?

http://funfunpics.blogspot.com/2010/01/dj-ruth-oldest-female-disc-jockey.html 10:03 AM, Posted by Qline , Subscribe to feed reader here

Bookmark and Share

She is the hippest grandmother around, just don't try to talk to her while she's 'working'.

Ruth flowers does not believe in growing old gracefully.

At 69 she is one of the hottest DJs in Paris and shows no signs of slowing down.

But then with a gaggle of teenagers and 20-somethings shouting her name into the early hours of the morning, would you swap that for the boring predictability of retirement?

A regular on the decks at Queen, one of Paris's most popular nightclubs, you wouldn't guess she is approaching 70,, apart from the faint silvery glint of her hair.

Ruth said: 'I think you have to accept the challenges that come your way. You can stay at home, and do nothing but go to an old people's club and to church for a cup of tea once a week.

'But you don't have to do that. If you want to do something then you really can. I just hope I can work that machine.'




While most women her age are well into retirement Ruth, dressed in a gold bomber jacket with scarlet lipstick and dazzling jewellery, is in demand across Europe and refuses to take it easy. In fact, she'd rather die.

'I've got no intention of retiring, well, unless I drop dead,' she said. 'And I'd much rather go out with a bang than linger.'

Not forgetting the baggy tracksuit bottoms, diamante-encrusted headphones and trademark black sunglasses, she fits in remarkably well with her younger audience which is exactly what she wants.

The graceful thing about her is the way she plays down her new-found prominence.

Modest Ruth said: 'I'm not a superstar DJ. I'm just a DJ.'

Known as 'Mamy Rock' to her legions of fans, she only discovered her love of music after visiting a London nightclub with her grandson.

'The bouncers didn't want to let me in at first,' she said. 'I was quite a lot older than the usual clientele, but once I got inside I hugely enjoyed it. I thought 'I can do this'.

'My husband had died, I was retired, I had the time, so why not?'

Her grandson put her on to French music producer Aurelien Simon, 28, who helped her develop her image and style, which is predictably eclectic.

Ruth said: 'I like to mix the old and the new, so I might put electro alongside an old favourite like the Rolling Stones. But I like to please the crowds, I give them what they want.'

Ruth, a singer and singing teacher for 14 years, is yet to match her popularity this side of the Channel but looks forward to playing Ministry of Sound.

Parisian clubber Pauline Robert, 23, said: 'We adore Mamy Rock. She loves to make us dance. We all want her as our grandmother.'

Alexandra Ledys, 21, added: 'It's so cool, I've never seen a DJ that old before.'

It was after a residency at an exclusive villa at the Cannes film festival that her career really took off.

'I can't believe the type of reaction I have got so far. People seem to adore me, they say they want to be like me, when they should just try and be like themselves, the dear things.'

Content

This blog maybe contains your blog's material such like pics and photos, videos, wallpapers or themes.
Please contact me if you have any objection of those material. We randomly picked it through internet e.g Google, Yahoo, Bing and Social Networks Site.

For advertisement matters, you can send me email to superbuxmoney[at]gmail.com.